Friday 20 February 2009

Bar Tape, Feb 7th

I should probably apologise to Claire again. Today I decided that as there wasn't any snow I would have  a go at riding my bike. I wasn't doing any serious riding, but it was definitely an eye opener.  

Before I headed out on my bike I remembered that in 2006 professional downhill racer Steve Peat broke his knuckle. With his knuckle still broken Peat managed to finish fourth at the Fort William World Cup race held barely a week later. 

In order to be able to still grip the bar with his broken knuckle Peat taped up the edge of his grip with handlebar tape. I thought this might help me with my recovering hand and so brought some handlebar tape ad put a few ayers on my right grip. 

Put simply it didn't work. If anything the tape made it more uncomfortable so I rode up to a bin and took it off. Straight away things felt better but soon I had the depressing realisation that I'm not as good as I was before I broke my hand. 

Even more annoying was that it was my wrist that was giving me grief. It's been two years since I broke it and still certain movements and actions send jolts of pain up my arm. 

There's still six weeks till the BUCS race so I'm going to try and ride as much as possible, which means a trip to the local skate park later in the week. As long as it isn't snowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment