Monday 13 April 2009

Easter at Aston Hill

Back in January I made my first ever new years resolution; and yesterday, four months into the year I managed to stick to it. When I woke up the ground was covered in puddles and it was still trying to rain. Pete had travelled home from Reading just to ride so going back to bed wasn't really an option.  

When we arrived at Aston Hill and started getting kitted up we were still at cloud level so couldn't really see much. We did a run of DH3 and soon found that as soon as you stopped pedaling you stopped moving. Nevertheless the track was still fun to ride. After pushing up to the car park we met up with the Smedley brothers

DH3 turned out to be the safest and most fun track to ride. DH4, my favourite track was a struggle to stay on, and the black run had us all bouncing off trees. Unfortunately it was too wet to even think about the 4x track. 

Whilst the top downhill riders in the world were sprinting down a dry sunny track in South Africa we were sliding down a muddy hill in South England, having just as much fun. 

My Neoguard kept most the mud off my goggles and my waterproof trousers were amazing. They kept my legs warm and dry, stopped mud pulling my leg hair off and stopped the saddle sore you get from riding with a wet arse. 

Seal Skinz socks kept my feet warm and more importantly dry, allowing me to keep on riding. I really enjoyed riding in the wet which is good as the outlook for Fridays trip to Cwm Carn is bleak to say the least.  

I woke up this morning to the sound of Pete hosing down both bikes. By the time I'd had breakfast and thrown some clothes on all that was left to do was put some oil on the chain. Result.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome write up, thanks for not adding anything about my mood in the morning....

    ReplyDelete