Saturday 4 July 2009

Morzine day one: Nous sommes arrivé

Well, we've arrived but Mark's bike hasn't. I'd been here a few hours when things went a bit 'Jim'll fix it' when Alex turned up completely out of the blue. Apparently everyone knew but me. 

I was a bit nervous about everything when the day started. I'd never flown to Geneva with British Airways and they do things a bit differently to Easy Jet.  

With Easy Jet you're allowed 32 kilos including you're bike and that's it. With BA you're allowed 46 kilos but your bike and bag can't weigh more than 23 kilos each. I had to take a fair bit off my bike to get it down to 23 kilos but it went on fine. 

The flight out was great. Turns out you get a free sandwich  and drink with BA. I'd never tried coronation chicken before. It's kind of like a mini curry in some bread, gonna have that again. 

Once the plane had landed mine and Pete's bikes arrived pretty much straight away but after an hour there was still no sign of Mark's. No-one from the airport or BA said anything. In the end another rider found out what was going on and spread the word. 

Out of the eight people in the minibus to Morzine only myself and Pete had our bikes. One guy didn't even have the bag he'd checked in. 

When we got to The Barn Dave who I'd stayed with before let us in and we dropped everything off before running to the shops before they closed. Was getting some lunch for the next day when some homeless guy started chatting to me about cheese. Turned out to be Factory Joe from Bournemouth Uni. 
He hung around with us whilst we built our bikes and grabbed a pizza before heading off to find somewhere to sleep before heading off to the mega-avalanche. 

Couple of hours later Alex arrived. I could not believe it. This holiday is gonna be sweet. It's just gone midnight out here and Mark's bike has just arrived. Gonna get some sleep in a bit then build it in the morning. 

A quick mention about the weather. The last two weeks out here have been pretty sunny but there were a load of puddles everywhere. Turns out it pissed it down earlier. Showers all day tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment